Sunday, January 04, 2009

Perfect Grilled Cheese

Where the perfect grilled cheese sandwich is, the successful party is also.
-"The Grilled Cheese Sandwich: An Elusive Essential to Social Success" by Christine Scanlon


Well, it seems that I become inspired to spend time with my blog very, very late at night! The trouble is that I've really become a 'morning person'. I rarely sleep past eight these days. So, the fact that I've been becoming more nocturnal yet still waking up early like a rooster is a bit troubling! Anyway, I've just come from a most entertaining dinner party and am feeling quite stimulated, so here I am. On my way in, I discovered a new issue of Saveur sitting in my mailbox. Isn't getting fresh new magazines the best? Thumbing threw it, I pleasantly stumbled across a recipe for the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Sign me up! I haven't tried this method per se, but having made a grilled cheese or two, I can tell that this must be the way to go. You can substitute Comté with Gruyere, Fontina, or Emmentaler cheeses. This time of year, hardly anything sounds better for supper than a grilled cheese sandwich and a piping hot bowl of tomato soup. Oh yes, the quote above also came from the magazine along with the recipe, word for word. Enjoy!

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Saveur Magazine
serves 2

The secret to making a perfect grilled cheese sandwich is cooking it over low heat, which brings out the subtle flavors of a cheese, and slathering the bread with butter, which crisps it in the pan. Comté, with its semi firm texture and nutty taste, is great for grilling.

4 Tb. Unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2"- thick slices sourdough bread
1 8-oz. piece Comte cheese, grated

1. Spread butter evenly over on both sides of each slice of bread. Put half the cheese on one slice and half on the other. Top each remaining bread slices. Heat a 12'' cast-iron skillet over medium low heat.

2. Add sandwiches to skillet and cook, flipping once with a metal spatula until golden brown and crusty on both sides, 18-20 minutes. Transfer sandwiches to a cutting board and slice in half. Serve warm.

No comments: