Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Cookielettes

There are two names that get thrown around a lot in my kitchen: Ina and Martha. These two ladies make the kind of food that I like to cook and eat. Homey food. Food that you crave and food that always sounds good. They are my go-to gals for sure. I've been a bit taken by tea cookies lately. They are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea. They are petite and as cute as can be. Tea cookies are big enough to satisfy a pesky sweet tooth yet small enough to feel okay about. I love how tea and icebox cookies can be pulled from the freezer at a moments notice. I have a little way that I love to eat tea cookies.  I select about four of them and place them about on a cute little dish.  If I'm feeling like it, I'll sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar over them.  Then I make a good cup of coffee and I take a few sips of hot beverage, then take a little nibble of the dry cookie.  Before the cookie is entirely out of my mouth, I take another sip of my coffee.  It washes the cookie down perfectly.  This may sound a little weird, but people, it works!  



I recently made mini thumbprints for tea cookies and in the next post will introduce you to a new thumbprint cookie recipe.  But for now, I shall pass along a precious recipe for Earl Grey Tea Cookies.  It comes from Miss Martha and makes quite a pretty little round.  I was initially a bit disappointed with the fact that the Earl Grey doesn't come through quite as strongly as I was hoping, but with the orange zest, it's really a nice flavor.  I hope you bake yourself some tea cookies to enjoy!  They really are a classic treat that should be enjoyed regularly with a ritual all your own!




EARL GREY TEA COOKIES
Martha Stewart Cookies
2     C.  AP flour
2     T.  Earl Grey tea leaves, finely ground
1/2  t.  course salt
1      C.  unsalted butter, room temp.
1/2  C.  confectioner's sugar
1      T.  orange zest, finely grated

Whisk flour, tea, and salt in a bowl.
Paddle butter, sugar, and orange zest in a stand mixer, medium speed until pale and fluffy.  3-5 minutes.  Reduce speed to low and add flour until just combined.
Divide into two logs and roll to 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  Chill for at least an hour or freeze.
When ready to bake, slice cookies into 1/4 inch slices and bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes or until golden around the edges.  Serve sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.  You must have these with coffee or tea!  Enjoy!

No comments: