Friday, April 10, 2009

Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup

It doesn't get more simple than simple syrup.  Because of a beverage recipe I have been toying with, I was prompted to make a vanilla simple syrup.  In the photo below, you will see two glass containers.  The tall one is a gift from my mother, an antique medicine jar holding magical homemade vanilla and the other is a squatty lil' pot of my simple syrup.

You would be wise to make some of this up yourself because it lends itself wonderfully to all sorts of culinary creations.  It's a no-brainer to add it to your morning tea or coffee brew.  You can also make a mean jar of homemade lemonade with this stuff, vanilla bean and all.  I made it for my wedding and it was heavenly.  Vanilla Bean Lemonade.  Does it get much better than that?  I'm a major homemade lemonade fan, it might just be my all-time favorite beverage. Well then, you could always just drizzle some of this over a fruit and that would be delightful. 

This recipe makes quite a bit and would also make a most wonderful gift...  




VANILLA BEAN SIMPLE SYRUP


2       C.   Water
2.5    C.   Sugar
1       Lg.  Vanilla bean, split, seeds carefully spooned out
1       T.    good vanilla extract  (optional)


Bring water, sugar, and vanilla seeds, pod, and extract to a simmer and allow sugar to dissolve, bring to boil and let fuse together this way for a few minutes.  Let cool before pouring into jars.  

No comments: